Bank donates houses for community garden | News
LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – Vacant properties are getting spruced up in the Portland neighborhood.
The properties are being turned into community gardens. Citizens Union Bank donated two pieces of land on Dr. W.J. Hodge Street. One will house a tool shop and the other will transform into a greenhouse for fresh vegetables and produce.
"We're very excited to be a part of this because like I said there's rich tradition in the West End of Louisville and we're just happy to be a part of that tradition continuing and we are a community bank, so we like to do things as far as getting involved in the community and this is a good way for us to do that," said Jason Lett, Citizens Union Bank.
The West Louisville Garden Coalition hopes this donation will encourage the city to release vacant properties for more community gardens.
Copyright 2012 WAVE News. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near West/Southwest Louisville
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Holiday light show brightens Christmas for family of murdered officer
- Six months, still no arrests in Officer Ellis murder
- KSP cramming cruisers with food this holiday season
- Bardstown pastor indicted, accused of making $80K worth of unauthorized purchases
- Bullitt County man charged with sex crimes involving child
- Officers arrest man after unsuccessful attempt to intimidate strangers to help him flee
- Kentucky Farm Bureau conference to be held at the Galt House
- LMPD: 4 people shot, innocent driver injured in crash after incident on 32nd Street
- LMPD: Driver crashes car while rushing shooting victim to hospital
- Local charity looking for people to donate on Giving Tuesday
- Car filled with smoke in parking lot of gentlemen's club leads to arrest
- LMPD: Man admits role in armed robbery outside Walmart
- Woman arrested after taking Lortab before driving
- LMPD: Liquor store employee accomplice to armed robbery of business
- Man arrested for passing out over steering wheel of SUV stopped at light